Future of Physics Days (FPD) are special events and experiences for over 350 undergrads who attend April Meeting. As a student, you will present your research, learn about grad school and career options, and connect with the scientific community at one of the largest physics conferences in the world.
Undergrad April Meeting events
You can look forward to in-person events (with free swag like backpacks and coffee tumblers!) tailored specifically for the ultimate undergrad experience:
- Undergrad lounge and grad school fair: Have a cup of coffee and relax in between sessions. This space is for undergrads only. Co-located with the lounge will also be a graduate school fair where you can chat with representatives from graduate programs looking to recruit undergrads.
- Undergraduate Breakfast, Career Workshop, and Awards: Over breakfast, learn how to prepare for a wide variety of careers in physics outside of academia. Following the workshop, undergraduate presenters from the APS/SPS Undergraduate Research Sessions will be recognized.
- Meet Your Future: Career Panel and Networking: Physicists working in various sectors, including those in the private sector and government jobs, will share their insights on how students can prepare for physics careers.
How to become a presenter
April Meeting centers on physics research in astrophysics, particle physics, nuclear physics, and gravitation. Become a presenter to fuel your future success:
- Learn about oral vs. poster formats and the different session types by reviewing our undergraduate presentation information.
- Prepare your research abstract, keeping our abstract submission policies, guidelines, and tips in mind.
- Decide whether you want to present in a general session or undergraduate-only session. Students presenting in undergraduate-only sessions receive written feedback by trained mentors and a presentation certificate.
- Submit your abstract between November 13, 2023 - January 5, 2024.
- Patiently wait! All approved abstracts will be sorted into categories and an author notice will be sent in February notifying you of your acceptance.
- Register at the discounted student rate and get ready for an awesome experience.
Why attend a scientific meeting?
Build your confidence in presenting and make important connections to launch a successful career. With more than 1,5000 attendees, April Meeting provides a critical out-of-classroom experience unparalleled by other meetings because of the breadth of topics covered. Students can immerse themselves in any area of interest, gain significant perspective, and understand what it feels like to be part of an energetic, welcoming community of scientists.
Future of Physics Days meeting grants
Future of Physics Days meeting grants are available for undergraduate students who are presenting their talk or poster under the Undergraduate Research sorting category during April Meeting.
Future of Physics Days undergraduate events are sponsored by APS and the Society for Physics Students.